OET FOR NURSES – Everything about OET you should know?
What is OET Exam?
It is an International English test that determines the communication abilities of healthcare professionals who want to register or practice in an English speaking environment. In other words, this test is used in different health care organizations to select professionals who are quite capable to deliver the best services to their patients or others. It has started in the late 1980s under the supervision of the Australian Federal Government this test has been consistently reviewed and developed to assure that it has aligned with existing theory and practice in language evaluation.
Who recognize OET?
OET is recognized by regulatory Health Care Boards and Councils in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, United Kingdom, Dubai, Ukraine, Namibia, and Singapore. Each recognized organization decides which grade results mean the candidate meets the level of language competency to work in the profession.
Differences between IELTS and OET
In IELTS, if a candidate does not get the required score, he or she has to give the entire examination again. In OET, the candidate has to repeat the failed module only. The fees will be levied for that specific module only. OET is a profession based English examination that deals with medical topics for nurses, physiotherapists etc. This exam is simpler than IELTS where the questions are based on general topics.
Who can take OET exam?
The people belong to any of them professions such as Dentistry, Dietetics, Medicine, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Podiatry, Radiography etc. Most of students who are doing nursing courses take this exam to migrate to foreign countries for permanent residency and work visa.
Format and Timings
OET is generally comprised of four sub tests
The test takes approximately 45 minutes. This test demonstrates whether the candidate can follow and understand a range of health-related spoken materials such as Patient Consultation and Lectures.
There are three parts in listening
- I – Two times Consultation extract about five minutes each.
- II- Six Times Start Workplace extract about one minute each.
- III-Two time’s presentation extracts about five minutes each.
This test takes approximately 60 minutes to complete. The topics in reading are Generic Health Care interest and are therefore accessible to candidates across all professions
A candidate is required to demonstrate that they can read and understand different type of text on health-related subjects.pes of text on health-related subjects.
The reading test comprises of 3 parts (A, B, C) and has 42 question items.
Reading Part (A) is an
expeditious reading task. It takes 15 minutes.
Reading Part (B) and (C) are careful reading tasks that take about 45 minutes.
The Writing Self-Test takes 45
minutes and is profession-specific.
In this part, one task set is assigned according to the profession based on a typical workplace situation.
For instance – A nurse does a task of nursing like a referral letter.
The speaking test is delivered independently. This phase takes around 20 minutes. Moreover, this part of OET uses materials designed especially for a profession. In each role plays you take your professional role, For instance, as a nurse or as a pharmacist while the interlocutor plays a patient, a client or a career.
- A : This grade denotes high performance level
- B: High level of performance that is able to use Fluent English and accuracy that is best for professional needs
- C: Good performance levels not acceptable to health and medical councils
- D: This grade denotes moderate performance level, needs improvement
- E: This grade denotes low level of performance, needs improvement
Every score of the sub-test is made of OET graded A to E. A has the highest grade and E is the lowest. There is no overall grade. Results and Timings OET is available at least 12 times in a year and you can take the OET examination at the test venues all over the world.
One can get the results 16 business days after the test. The candidates get different grades for every sub-test. Many of the organizations need the candidates to have a B-grade in the 4 sub-tests and the results are valid for 2 years. Many of the organizations need the candidates get the grades for every sub-test in one sitting.
We at Crosslink help you prepare for the OET which is generally 1-2 months long and helps the Nurses get the desired results by being more fluent in English.
- Our faculty comprises qualified educators from well-known institutions with years of experience behind them. They undergo rigorous training so that they can give their students their best. Our tutors undergo a constant evaluation to ensure that their knowledge and efficiency standards remain top-notch.
- At Crosslink our faculties help you brush up your high school knowledge and vocabulary. With practice, you can also improve your speed.
- Our faculty will also provide you with scoring tips so that you can qualify for the dream career or job.